26 Marlborough St
Boston, MA 02116
One of our office locations is in Boston, for several reasons. It is our hometown and will forever hold a special place in our hearts. However, regardless of being our hometown, Boston is a fantastic city with wonderful people and offers a lot more than many other locations. Moving into and around Boston can be quite different from other cities.
Many of the older buildings have very tight passageways and sharp corners to navigate; you really need experienced Boston movers to assist you if you do not want damaged furniture. If we are doing a Boston move, we wrap each piece of furniture before moving it, this prevents any damage to the furniture and protects the area around the moving activities.
Find a Local/Neighborhood Calendar
Boston is a very busy city with lots of activities and events, which is one of the reasons it is such a great place to live. However, it also means these events can create issues when you are trying to accomplish a move in or out. If you can find a neighborhood calendar for your specific area, it will help you plan your move around scheduled events.
Looking for Boston Movers on September 1st?
If you are considering making a move into or within Boston on September 1st, you may want to adjust your plans if possible. The city is home to twenty-five university level entities with more than 200,000+ students enrolled and September 1st is the day students all come back to Boston for a new semester of college. It is a very crazy and hectic couple of days and if you do not have to be involved, it is better to make plans before or after this period.
Boston Moving Tips
- If you are in the Back Bay or Fenway area, you will need to be aware of when the Red Sox home games are scheduled. The games can create traffic backups and congestion that can make moving quite a hassle. It’s also good to make a note if it is an afternoon game or evening game if you must make your move on a particular day with a game scheduled.
- The North End has more activity and events on a regular basis than perhaps any other area of Boston. In fact, they do not even allow moves without a street occupancy permit that has been approved by City Hall. If you are moving into or out of the North End make sure you have a permit in good order and you are aware of events in the area.
- Make sure you reserve a moving truck or moving services VERY early if you are planning a move. With all of the different events and activities in the area, it can be difficult to find anything available if you wait until the last minute. It is normally a good idea to start checking several months in advance and have your plans set.
- Call the utility companies early. Boston is a very busy city with millions of people, which means the utility companies have a lot of demand for their time and services. It is much better to contact the utilities early and make sure you have the utilities set up ahead of time. Moving into a new home and not having electric service or water for several days is no fun.
- Hoisting Services? Many of the buildings in Boston have been around for multiple decades and have very tight stairways and passageways. If you have large furniture, you may need hoisting services to move your furniture in or out. Many modern pieces of furniture simply will not fit into the areas allowed by these buildings. It can be something as simple as a queen or king size box spring and mattress. Even if you do not think you have any furniture that is oversized, it is best to check with your realtor, landlord or moving company to find out if there might be an issue.
- The best rule to remember when moving in Boston is to plan early and plan often. Ensure you have all the details figured out well in advance and have all the services you need reserved ahead of time.
Don’t Forget Parking
A final tip if you are moving into Boston and not familiar with the area. Make sure you have a parking permit for your vehicles on the day of your move. Trying to find a parking spot within the city without a permit can be a nightmare. You can end up with huge parking fines and even worse, your vehicle can be towed away. Nobody wants to spend moving day bailing your vehicle out of the city impound and paying huge fees!
Can’t Stop Moving: Your Trusted Boston Movers
I hope that the tips above will help you in your adventure moving into or out of the Boston area. I know it may sound a little complicated and to be honest it is! However, once you settle into your new home and have a chance to experience all the great things Boston has to offer, we are sure you will love it as much as we do.
If you need help moving, you can always contact us for our advice and services. We have been navigating the Boston moving landscape for many years and we have it down to a science. We cannot control traffic jams and crowds, but we can help you avoid most of the common problems that can make moving a real headache. We are familiar with every area of Boston and the specifics that should be handled ahead of time for a given area.
If you need assistance, please give us a call or send us an email. We hope we will be your top choice among Boston movers to help you with your moving needs.